Ultimate RESET!

Friday, May 28, 2010

Lack of Sleep

I thought I would write a bit about lack of sleep and the effects it can have on our diet, exercise and attitude the next day. I am running my day on 2 hours sleep from last night and having a hard time keeping up my positive attitude and overall good mood.

Lack of sleep for me affects my mood, my cravings, my desire to workout, and more than anything my energy level.

For me it would be a comfort to grab some comfort food, relax, and crawl back into bed (when my toddler is napping later). Where would that get me though? I would most likely not be able to nap, I would find it hard to relax, I would miss my daily workout, and I would be eating food that would not help to fuel my body.

The best thing to do in this situation would be to go about my day at a lower key, continue to eat good whole foods, drink plenty of water, and put in a less intense workout.

Lucky for me I usually get 4-6 hours a sleep a night and this is uncommon for me, but there are plenty of people out there that suffer from lack of sleep on a regular basis and still have to continue on with their lives. If you are sleep deprived and continue to have sleep issues, then you can try an over the counter herbal remedy such as Chamomile, Kava Kava, Melatonin, or Valerian root. If you do not know what dose is best for you then consult a Naturopathic doctor for guidance.


Happy Friday!

No comments: