Ultimate RESET!

Thursday, May 5, 2011

My Own Weight loss Journey


Today has been a day of reflecting on my own journey to good health. As I pushed myself through a really hard workout today, I thought back to when it was hard for me to even walk up a flight of stairs without getting winded.

It was almost 10 years ago now, I had just had my first child about a year prior and was headed to doctor for a routine check up. It had been like many other visits to the doctor, they took my blood pressure, (which was very high for a woman in her twenties) listened to my lungs, took my pulse, (which was running high) and drew blood for tests. The test concluded that I was overweight, unhealthy, and on the path to an early grave. My doctor told me that she didn't think I would live to see my forties. I was floored!!

The doctor couldn't give me much nutritional advice, but she did tell me to lose at least 20 pounds, quit smoking, eat low fat, eat low sodium and pick up an American Heart Association cookbook and learn to cook. *blink* I was at a loss for words.

That very day, I was at the book store, picked up every book I could find on low-fat, low-sodium, healthy cooking.

I never picked up another cigarette again in my life. I took that information and I turned my life around. I cooked everyday, I read every article, I eventually gave up meat, and started exercising. I lost over 50 pounds and gained my life!!

It's been an amazing journey, hard at times but worth every second. I have gained life lessons, energy & built a healthy family.

If you're ready to make healthy choices in your own life, then don't let another day pass you by, start today. Even if it's just one step a week, just move forward and don't look back. Anything is possible if you truly want it!!

Happy Thursday!

No comments: