Ultimate RESET!

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Pregnancy Weight gain

I received an email recently, asking how much weight is ok to gain during pregnancy.
My first response, is to ask your doctor what is right for you and your baby. Generally speaking though, most doctors now recommend for healthy women to gain between 25-35 pounds during pregnancy by adding an extra 300 calories a day to their regular and balanced diet.
I can say that when I was pregnant with my first child, I didn't know what an extra 300 calories a day looked like. I ate anything I felt like all the time. Not knowing that an extra 300 calories a day is a small meal/snack. I thought it was an extra steak at dinner and 2 pieces of chocolate cake after that. I literally ate a box of cereal a day (that was to start my morning off) and I continued to eat that way throughout the day. With my second pregnancy, I knew that continuing my already healthy diet while adding an extra healthy snack, would be plenty. I ended up gaining 15 pounds less with my second pregnancy and had a much easier labor and delivery.

Continue to follow a healthy diet when pregnant. Follow your doctors advice regarding your personal weight gain during pregnancy and if allowed, even exercise.

Happy Thursday!

No comments: