Ultimate RESET!

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Easy meal tips


Here are a few tips that I use on a daily basis for preparing meals for my family.

-Almost any vegetable and most fruits can be put into a salad.
I really use this one daily. We have a salad with our dinner every night. Last night I had red leaf lettuce, romaine lettuce, a red bell pepper, a green bell pepper, and a zucchini in my fridge and that is exactly what we all had in our salad. It was delicious, easy and convenient especially since I didn't have to buy anything extra and everything was already in my fridge.

-Prep vegetables when you get home with them from the grocery store.
Another very handy tip that I use. When you get home and put away groceries leave the vegetables out. Get out a big bowl or use your sink, fill it up with water (I use 1 drop of organic plant based dish soap as well) and throw your vegetables in and swish them around to clean off any debris. Rinse vegetables well and chop any vegetables that you think that you will use within the next 2 days. I always chop or tear my lettuces & spinach so that salads are always handy. I chop celery into small pieces for salads and soups then cut into bigger pieces for stuffing with peanut butter for the kids. I chop bell peppers into strips and smaller pieces for salad or sauteing
Carrots are cut up into smaller pieces for easy snacking for the kids. The time this takes now will save you time during the week when you are busy with work, kids, school..etc.

-Cook some meals ahead of time. Wherever there is a window of time in your life usually on the weekends that you can prep a few weekly meals ahead of time will be a lifesaver later in the week. Try grilling 5-10 chicken breast and having them all ready for meals. Cook high protein healthy pasta and store in fridge so that all you have to do is throw some chicken, veggies and healthy light pasta sauce on top. Cook and store brown rice, quinoa, and oatmeal. Cook up ground bison meat for a quick add in for spaghetti for dinner. The options are endless and you will be so glad that you spend a couple of hours on a weekend so that you can save a few hours during a busy hectic work week.

-Whole wheat tortillas and wraps can be your friend. I keep whole grain/whole wheat wrap or tortillas in my fridge at ALL times (no joke). How easy is it to throw a few healthy ingredients into a wrap and call it a meal?? I love it! Egg whites & veggies, wrap it up! Chicken, brown rice and vegetables, wrap it up! Hummus, sprouts, tomatoes, and cucumbers, wrap it up! The possibilities are endless and delicious!

I hope these tips help you!!

Happy Wednesday!

No comments: